1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick starter for other birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jak2002003, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    My Zebra Finches and Gouldian finches have just hatched out a few chicks.

I can not get proper 'egg food' for cage birds where I live. I was making my own with mashed up egg, but it goes off so quickly in the hot weather.

Does anyone know if the medicated chick starter crumbs are OK to give as a supplement to finches (and doves) diet? I want the growing finch chicks to get a lot of protein and not just eat the seeds and vegetables. I thought the medication would also help protect the birds from diseases like in chicken chicks.

Also I could feed it dry - which means no more worries about germs growing of wet food.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Cuates

Cuates New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    I used to have canaries many years ago ,,I live in Brownsville ,Texas , and I undersatnd what you said ...go to bakery products ,,some of them have dry egg,,,but here is what I used to do.

Average bread cake with twice the amount of eggs,add some anis flavor (they love this one) ,,once is done crumble it and add some dry egg powder ,add a little of water (just a little) before you serve it , and that was it

if you can get some dandelion flower and leaves or some wild rape plant , they are excellent for your birds

Cuates

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by