Chick Starter Or Grower?

millebantam

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Little Rhody
Just looking for opinions here. At what age do most people change feed from starter to grower with their chicks? Is there a different time table with different breeds to compensate for different growth rates? Thanks in advance, Jim.

This is about what I did. I think I got it off of the feed bag or it was posted in the feed store or something.

Starter for 1st 6 weeks
Starter/grower from 6-12 weeks
Grower/finisher from 12 weeks to first egg
First egg on - layer feed

Quote:
Exactly.
caf.gif

My kids free range when they get thrown into the chicken barn from the nursery. Presently, no one is being introduced, but here is what i do.

Hatchlings. Medicated starter for the first 2 weeks.

Regular starter from 2 to 5 weeks.

half and half poultry grain/regular starter 5 weeks to 8 weeks.

poultry grain, free range and I have a food bowl of oyster shell for those who would like it. They actually go through a bag of the stuff every month.

For the big growers like RIRs, Plymouth rocks, orpingtons and jersey giants I use the game bird feed with poultry grain.

The grower feed and the finisher are reserved for any birds i plan on showing or selling off for the price they command. These are usually my exoctics and the polish.

My outside chicks with there mama have chick starter out there but eat everything everyone else eats... scratch, layer pellets, cracked corn. Everyone is fine !!

My chicks are with a hen, so they sample whatever she eats. They have starter/grower available, but if given the chance they seem to prefer forage. In the cooler weather they spend more time in the coop with mama, so I spread starter/grower on the shavings along with other seeds, corn, scratch, grit and vegetables and they forage there and stay warm at the same time! I guess I figure the hens know better than I do how to raise them, as long as nutritious foods are available. Haven't had any problems at all, except for the hawks that find chicks very tasty and easy to catch.

Thanks for all the replies. I kinda figured that there would be similarity, yet diversity in the basic methods from different breeders. This is one of the reasons that forums like this are so valuable. There really is no right or wrong way to do anything that gets good results. Thanks again, Jim.

Back
Top Bottom