Chick Starter Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mike32, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mike32

Mike32 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    Pecos, NM
    I was given a bag of chick starter and am expecting chicks any day. My concern is the feed is not medicated. What can I supplement them to keep them from getting coccidiosis? Do I need to supplement or am I worrying too much?

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I didn't use medicated feed. I read that they can build up immunity by being exposed to soil/dirt in small doses.

When my chicks were 3 wks old I started grit and putting in clumps of sod in their brooder.

3. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I didn't use medicated either. My girls are all good.

4. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I didn't use medicated feed. I read that they can build up immunity by being exposed to soil/dirt in small doses.

When my chicks were 3 wks old I started grit and putting in clumps of sod in their brooder.

My chicks are 3 wks old and go outside with their mama into the run to peck and scratch. Do I need to supply them with chick grit? They are just now starting to eat the grass clover I pick for them. I have regular grit for the grown chickens, free choice. Is this too large for the chicks?
    Also, they're on chick starter crumbles (non-medicated) now. What is the next step as far as feed for them, and at what age.
    I'd thought about switching them to the Purina Flock Raiser (probably for the winter or when the chick starter is gone, whichever comes first) until they are laying age. Is this too much protein. (It's 20%) Also, they're bantams. So, a bag of feed will last me awhile.[​IMG]

5. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    I believe that is a personal choice. Haven't really read anything about the immune system as yet. So I couldn't tell you anything about that.
    I purchased a 5 lb bag of the medicated feed when I first got my chicks. But when they finished it, I purchased a 50 lb bag of starter feed non-medicated. I see no harm in giving the medicated food for about the first 2-3 weeks. I feel that is the most crucial time of their little lives and I wanted to give them a chance.
    I purchased my chicks on the Internet and God Knows what the conditions are at the hatcheries. I'm glad I gave them at lease a few weeks of the medicated.
    I wouldn't add any medication to you existing feed however. You may not get the dosage correct or mix completely through out the feed. But if you do deside on buying some medidated feed you can mix it with the feed you have now. At lease you won't waste it.

Like I said that is a personal choice. [​IMG]

6. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Quote:My chicks are 3 wks old and go outside with their mama into the run to peck and scratch. Do I need to supply them with chick grit? They are just now starting to eat the grass clover I pick for them. I have regular grit for the grown chickens, free choice. Is this too large for the chicks?
    Also, they're on chick starter crumbles (non-medicated) now. What is the next step as far as feed for them, and at what age.
    I'd thought about switching them to the Purina Flock Raiser (probably for the winter or when the chick starter is gone, whichever comes first) until they are laying age. Is this too much protein. (It's 20%) Also, they're bantams. So, a bag of feed will last me awhile.[​IMG]

What type of chicks are they. Layers, boilers, fryers?? You won't have to switch feed until they are around 18-20 weeks or when they lay their first egg.
    You can then give them the regular feed depending on the type of chickens they are.

Also a friendly suggestion. You should start you own post and not start a new one on someone else's. You are asking for help on someone else's post. Please start a new one next time you have a question. It's only fair to the original persons post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by