Chick starter question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yardbirds286, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Is there any harm in keeping some of my chicks on starter until 8 weeks? I have quite a bit left, and by the time it's gone the chicks will be 6 - 8 weeks old. The bag says up until 6 weeks, then switch to grower so I don't want to give them something that could wack out my so far healthy girls.

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i feed mine starter/grower until they are 18 weeks,then start free will oyster shell.after they start laying i switch over to laying pellets

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I feed mine starter/grower until they are 16-18 weeks of age, then switch over to laying pellets..although this year I think I am going to go flock raiser if I can find it in pellets so as not to have so much waste.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I give mine starter til they are about to POL, or whenever it is gone around that time.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Agree with the other posters. In areas where seperate starter and grower is not available, like here, we feed starter/grower until POL.

6. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    So, in other words I won't hurt a thing by using up all my starter by 8 weeks then switching to grower, then to layer around 22 weeks or so. Good deal, thanks guys. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by