Hatching
Feb 27, 2016
I am trying to make a soy free, corn free starter recipe. I have come up with

Ground Flaxseed Meal
Sunflower Seeds
Steel Cut Oats
Sesame Seeds.

Am I missing anything?? Thoughts...

I make my chicks a bucket of 'treat' similar to this which, frankly, they prefer to the commercial crumble. I switch it up a little each batch but I have used all of your ingredients plus:

shelled hemp seeds
ground almonds
12 grain cereal (pulse it in the blender so it's a crumbly texture)
wheat germ
ground walnuts

I avoid chia because I know it swells in liquid. Same with whole oats, I pulse them in the blender so the pieces are tiny.

I also grow wheat grass in the basement that they go nuts over. Search for the growing fodder thread. Make sure you dice it really tiny for them, and don't start them on it before they are a couple weeks old.

Edited to add: I still feed commercial crumble, but it is the last to be consumed, after the wheat grass and homemade crumble.

Last edited:
You are missing the balanced ration that they need to do well, and balancing feed at home is NOT EASY. Where's your vitamin/ mineral mix? Buy the chick starter, and feed goodies as extra, instead. Mary

I only have one choice as far as chick feeds are concerned from my local feed store, and I know from experience that my other livestock (horses) hated their commercial feeds from the same supplier. I don't think it's quality nutrition, at least the brand that I am dealing with.

Edited to add: I also add a little pink Himalayan salt. Very mineral rich and all living things need salt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom