chick starter to layer pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeannieo, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I have been giving my six "new" girls purina medicated chick starter. They are 15 weeks old and thriving. I went to TSC today to pick up layer pellets for my adults and asked if I could start the layer pellets for the teenagers [​IMG] and the woman said I could begin transitioning them to pellets. I thought I had some of the chick starter left and I was going to mix it half and half but found when I got home, no chick starter. Can I just give my girls layer pellets "cold"? Not cold cold but from chick starter to pellets with no transition? How about if I put the pellets in the food processor and make them smaller like the starter? [​IMG]

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    IMO yes.

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    I did, except I used the flock raiser crumbles, they did not even notice.

4. mercedes

mercedes Songster

May 4, 2010
    TX
    maybe I misunderstand,but you are feeding medicated chick starter to 15 week olds?Mine went to grower after 8 weeks,and now at 17 weeks they are eating layer crumbles.Did I do wrong?

5. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I was told u could give starter up to 20 weeks

6. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Songster

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    mercedes I don't think you have done anything wrong. jeannieo IMO yours will be fine, too. This Feeding Chart from the Purina website says you can give starter up to 18 weeks. I never fed mine medicated starter, though. But around here, Start & Grow only comes medicated, unless you buy 5 lb. bags, which is way too expensive! [​IMG] So I switched to the Flock Raiser, which I intend to give them until about 18 weeks (actually, until the last 50 lb. bag is gone [​IMG], which I figure should coincide with that age).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  7. jeannieo

jeannieo Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Quote:no, probably I fed them the starter too long. I wanted to use it up and the bag says 18 weeks. I'm fairly new too, this is only my third year of chickens and my second year of getting babies and I probably baby them too long cuz I love them so much [​IMG]. My 27 girls (and 2 banty boys) are pets and they all have names which I'm told is not really too good to do but I am so anthropomorphic I just have to! [​IMG]

8. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Songster

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by