Chick starter vs. grower?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SuperiorHens, Jun 20, 2019.

1. SuperiorHens

SuperiorHens In the Brooder

May 13, 2019
    Hello,

I recently purchased some feed from our local feed store, but when I got home I noticed that it was chick grower (versus starter) and I'm wondering if I should return it or if it's ok to feed to my hens? The bag states that it's for chicks over five weeks old that are being raised for meat, but mine are being raised to lay eggs (they range in age between 9 and 17 weeks old). Is this feed OK for them? It's my understanding that there might just be a bit of a different protein ratio. I do have layer feed at home as well I could cut it with...

Thanks in advance for your help! Relatively new to different types of chicken feed.

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Layer feed for new chicks = no. It has a very high calcium content, and has been shown to damage the kidneys of developing birds in multiple studies.

What feed is it (brand)?

Shadrach likes this.
  3. SuperiorHens

May 13, 2019
    Ah yes, the calcium is the concern more than the protein. Thank you!

I uploaded an image of the label. I might just return it if I can? Of course the guy who loaded it into my car held on to the receipt. Woops!

Attached Files:

ValerieJ and sylviethecochin like this.
  4. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    The stats I see all look pretty good. I'd feed it.

ValerieJ and Shadrach like this.
  5. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    Some call it chick starter, some call it grower. and or starter/grower. As long as it says CHICK you will be fine

ValerieJ likes this.
  6. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Nah, Rural King and TSC both sell 15% grower. It's doable, but it's not ideal.

ValerieJ and Shadrach like this.
  7. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    The 15% on TSC site is a grower/FINISHER feed. I did specifically say CHICK starter/grower

sylviethecochin likes this.
  8. SuperiorHens

May 13, 2019
    Thanks everyone! I was mostly concerned because it was labelled for meat birds. But the ratios seem about right now that I research. I just won't offend my hens and will make sure they don't see the label saying it's for birds that will be eaten ;)

ValerieJ, Trux and sylviethecochin like this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    That looks fine. 18% protein is sufficient and the calcium max content isn't too high.
    Interesting that it has bone meal and meat (pork) products in the feed.
    The only thing I would suggest is buy some Corid if you are not going to feed a medicated feed. If a chick does get coccidiosis then you will want to treat with Corid or similar immediately.

sylviethecochin and Trux like this.
  10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Yup it looks fine, I'd go ahead and use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: