Chick starter Vs layer feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewHopePoultry, Mar 24, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My husband asked me tonight why I cant I feed layer crumbles (16%) instead of chick start (18%).
    What do I tell him?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell him to "mind his own business" !
    Ha-Ha !!! [​IMG]

Actually the "starter has some nutrients that are necessary for good growth of young-uns.

The Layer feed has more calcium (for one thing) which is good for laying eggs...but NOT so GOOD for growing chicks...it can cause some problems with internal organs until the chicks mature more.

I don't know the details.....but they ARE readily available over the Internet....if you do a "Google Search".

There's good reasons.
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

3. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] Thanks

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

You're Welcome.
    (Sorry that I couldn't be more specific. I'm not a bird-nutritionist. Ha-Ha. )
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]
    P.S. MAYBE by making another entry on this thread...it will get noticed by someone who will be more informative.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hi -the layer pellets ( are cheaper too buttttt...) they have the calcium that can and will solidify in a chicks kidneys and cause stones-making it difficult if not impossible for the kiddeys to function properly as filters. They can eat it no problems but it is not good for them-the food is lower in protein and higher in calcium. Chick feed-then layer pellets around the time the begin or show signs of laying.... oh and tell DH You've got it covered and all good hahaha

6. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Would the layer crumbles kill the chicks?
    Im trying to get him to understand why the extra few dollors is worth the chick starter.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Again, it may not KILL them per say-but you are not feeding them nutritionally, if you feed layer feed- what they need to grow properly--lower protein=stunted growth. Slowly decreasing their kidney functions will cause them to have issues when they get older. You may not see it for a while but you will when they get older then you will start have issues that will cost you alot more in the long run than a few dollars more for a bag of chick feed. When I first started I asked the same exact questions-and followed the advice that was given-thank goodness I would have been heartbroken if I lost some of my favorites to issues I explained....Tell DH that it is what it is and you want to do your best to ensure the healthiest birds you can have-you'd hate to lose birds just before they begin to lay. Then you'd be out $ for raising them that long just to lose them to a very preventable issue

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Don't blow off his question, as it is a reasonable one.

Adult, egg layers pump out 20% of their body weight in a calcium wrapped sphere every day. Their dietary needs are different.
    A growing chick needs good feed, such as starter/grower and then grower if you wish until point of lay. The high calcium of the layer feed is not recommended for chicks. Too much calcium can cause bone issues and is reported to be very hard on their kidneys.

To save money on feed, shop different places. You might find you can save $2-$4 a 50 lb bag at a different store with a different brand.

He'll understand.

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    It won't kill them right away but can cause health problems later while their laying. this is when your time and money is starting to pay and will cut down on the eggs. Unless you have a lot of chicks you might only have to but two bags till their old enough for layer feed so its not that much money. It;s worth the extra to have healthy hens that lay well.

10. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Now he wants to know about Flock Raiser?
    (Im almost proud that he knows the names of the different feed,lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by