Chick Starter & Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chyatt24, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Chyatt24

Chyatt24 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    We're wondering what kind of chick starter to get out baby chicks. We had them vaccinated for Marek's disease, so do we get them medicated chick starter or just regular? The bag we got said "poultry feed" but I think we need to return it because it didn't say "Chick Starter" on it.
    For their water, we also got little packs of electrolytes. Are these good to add into the water as soon as we get the chicks? Or should it only be used at certain times?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated because the chicks are arriving in 2 days!

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Definitely change to starter.

Got my chicks from reputable source, straight starter feed and plain water, never a problem.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If the bag isn't clearly makred "chick starter", then I would return it. As for getting medicated or non medicated feed, it really is your choice. The medication in chick feed is a coccidiostat, not an antbiotic. The only thing it helps prevent is Coccidiosis, which is a relatively common disease of young birds caused by protozoa. Since the protozoa that cause Coccidiosis are present basically everywhere, most people do use medicated chick feed, which helps the chicks build immunity to the disease. Some people do manage to raise chicks on non-medicated feed, though.

You can add the electrolytes to the water whenever you want. They will give the chicks' immune systems a boost, which will help them with stress as they acclimate to their new home.

Good luck with your chicks!

4. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    Thank you!

5. Chyatt24

Aug 4, 2014
    One other question: Do I need to feed them a certain amount, or just unlimited? I'm getting three chicks.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Give them unlimited feed. They will eat whenever they need/want to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by