Chick starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ToriB85, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ToriB85

ToriB85 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Guyton, Georgia
    How long do you feed your chicks chick starter? I know this will be a kind of preference thing but want to know opinions. Also just want to share my baby's! [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    yep, I go by that chart too and switch to flock raiser around 18 weeks.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If it's a medicated starter you should switch to unmedicated grower type feed around 8-10 weeks. You can continue to feed a grower or flock raiser their entire life if you supply oyster shells on the side free choice when they reach point of lay or begin laying. That age varies on your chickens, could be 18 weeks to 30 weeks. Or you can switch to a layer blend which has the added calcium already in it.

I don't use medicated starter so use starter/grower until they are large enough to switch to pellets for less feed waste. A game bird flock raiser comes in pellet form and I supply oyster on the side for grown birds in large pen.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. ToriB85

Oct 6, 2013
    Guyton, Georgia
    Just wondering and I think any question asked is not crazy so why not feed pellets sooner?

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The "shape" of the feed is irrelevant. What ever the birds will eat, crumbles, mini pellets, big pellets, ground mash, etc.

It is the contents that is appropriate. Many feeds such as Grower or Starter or Layer come in various textures or shapes, but the shape tells you nothing about the contents. Hope that helps. Just saying crumbles doesn't tell you the contents or the intended age of the bird. Same with mash or pellets. You still have to know whether it is Raiser, Layer, Grower, etc.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The shape doesn't matter to the nutrition but I've found I use 1/4 less feed when birds are large enough for pellets. My birds scatter the crumbles all over the ground and it goes to waste.

8. ToriB85

Oct 6, 2013
    Guyton, Georgia
    Ok so I guess I should have been more specific but did learn from your comment. I'm almost out of chick starter crumbles an would rather everyone be on the same food what should I use? I have laying hens Roos an youngish chickens 5 to 10 weeks. And yes they waste too much on crumbles!

9. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    I feed my babies Encore Natural chick starter for 8 weeks then switch to grower. Then about two weeks before laying I feed them layer mash. They develop beautiful and healthily and lay eggs early. I also let them play in the garden while I dig worms for them at the age of 1 month. When they are hens I free range them and provide plenty of kitchen scraps and veggies and fruit.

10. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    I feed my hens crumbles. If you lift the feed about 6 inches above the ground they won't spill it as much. My hens eat off the ground though, only my guineas waste loads of food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by