Chick starter???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amcstay, Oct 20, 2008.

1. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I bought chick feed from my feed store, but I have come to find out it wasn't chick starter... it was just regular "gamebird" food (mash). Is this bad? Are my little chicks going to be ok if this is all they eat, or do they really need chick starter? Also, when can I start giving them scratch?
    Thanks!

2. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    It is my understanding that you should not give them scratch as babies. It is not very nutritional and they would need grit if they are eating anything other than chick feed. Just stick to chick starter only until they are old enough for grit or are outside and able to get grit naturally.

As for the gamebird feed I'm not sure.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    gamebird feed shouldn't hurt them, I know MissPrissy doesn't feed her chickens anything BUT gamebird feed. If all else fails you should see if they'll exchange it (if it's unopened) for some chick feed. Is it the Manna Pro stuff???

BTW, don't give them scratch till they're old enough to go outside on their own. I didn't give mine any till they were about 10 weeks old. Scratch is like candy, they only get a little each day. It's not very nutritional and is nothing but a snack, a treat. Just make sure you don't give them too much, cause if they fill up on scratch they won't eat their regular nutritional feed. Good luck, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the info. I went out and bought chick starter. Guess my one feed store just didn't have any so they sold me gamebird food instead. [​IMG]

Another quick question, we live in the Caribbean and have days of 84+ with nights at about the same temp. Last week we didn't have electricity due to hurricane Omar for about 5 days and so the chicks didn't have a red heat lamp on at night, they seemed ok... is the heat lamp just to keep them warm or do they need it for some other reason. The reason I ask is they were not huddled or cold, so couldn't I just turn it off now? They are a little over 2 weeks at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by