Chick still alive but not moving and really floppy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joleabrown13, Apr 1, 2017.

1. joleabrown13

joleabrown13 Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    Can someone help me I have a little chick which hatched the wrong way of the egg it unzipped its way round then about 3 hours later stopped moving so I helped its head out to make sure it can breathe, and it got out of the shell its self, but now 5 hours after it's laying down not opening its eyes and really soft around the belly button, we do have a occasional chirp now or then but hardly no movement , we thought that it had lack of oxygen in the shell Which has caused it brain damage or it has hatched to early someone help me.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I'm sorry about your chick - it doesn't sound hopeful. Does it open it's eyes? can it stand? If you can get it to take a few sips of Sav-a-chick or sugar water it might help. You said soft around the belly button - like mushy soft?

3. joleabrown13

Apr 1, 2017
    It's necks really fragile but I don't think it's broken as it has lived now for 12 hours, it moved and makes a pipping noise like it's still coming out the shell it does open its eyes but shuts them after i gave it some warm water with sugar and I've leaned its head on a towel so it's not laid flat, it's really small than the others as just lays there and and doesn't really move or anything. The belly buttons area is really squishy like the if you lay it on its back it kinda goes flat and it feels like its got thin skin.

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I will send good thoughts your way, I hope it makes it.

5. joleabrown13

Apr 1, 2017
    Thankyou

6. joleabrown13

Apr 1, 2017
    I've just ordered a nutri drop thing will that work ?

7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    It might help, certainly can't do any harm at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by