Chick still attached

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DanceswLabs, Apr 8, 2012.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I had 21 eggs hatch between Friday night and early this afternoon. I am so happy that 21 out of 25 hatched, because my last batch wasn't so successful. However, number 21 seems different than the others. This little black copper Maran is still attached to it's egg and lies on its back kicking. It was hatched about 3 hours ago. Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

2. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    Chick is still attached and lying around. It chirps and can move some. I am worried about whether or not I should keep it in the incubator....anyone?

3. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I just got done hatching. Had 1 that stayed attached for a little while. It does happen. It should be able to wiggle free from it soon.

If you don't have anymore eggs hatching, none that have pipped, you can reach in and help it. But I wouldn't open the incubator if you have any in the process of hatching.

Good Luck, keep me posted!

4. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    This is the last one, so no more to pip/hatch. The shell is connected by a vein or something. I feel like I should not try to detatch it. What do you think?

5. DanceswLabs

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I put the chick in a shoebox under a light over night. It looked so pitiful and soaked in the humid incubator. This morning, the umbilical had separated and the chick is in with the other 20 chicks.....great end to an Easter hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by