1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick still chirping after adding a new chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bubbaloo, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bubbaloo

bubbaloo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    uk
    I've recently had just one chick hatch, its 5 days old now and has only had a few stuffed toys a mirror and me for company, in a heated brooder, today I managed to get a new buddy to keep it company, which is only a week old, I put them both together and an hour later it is still chirping, will it stop? Anyone else had the same experience??

2. ThePaintedHen

ThePaintedHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    What temp is your brooder? Also, does it snuggle near the new chick? Does it stop if you hold it? Is it eating and drinking? If all is otherwise well, it could just be a loud chick. It seems certain birds just seem to be louder than others, even if they aren't a "noisy" breed. I have a Silkie chick that is almost 8 weeks old now and it is the noisiest chick ever, practically chirping it's little head off every day of its life. Mine isn't cold, hungry, thirsty, or lonely - it is just noisy. Otherwise, it is growing like it is supposed to, which really surprises me because I would think it would use every ounce of energy making its loud chirps. Good luck with your new baby and I hope it quiets down soon. :)

3. bubbaloo

Feb 7, 2012
    uk
    Its just running up and down the brooder as if it wants to escape, every now and then it stops to check out the new chick gives it a peck or two, then carrys on chirping, I'm thinking it probably had too much of the good stuff when on its own, cuddles, blankets etc....its drinking, eating and warm enough, me thinks we have a little chick brat, hopefully they will get used to each other :)

4. ThePaintedHen

ThePaintedHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    "Little chick brat" - I am cracking up! :)

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    he needs something new....... l_____[​IMG]____l out of the brooder

6. bubbaloo

Feb 7, 2012
    uk
    It already has been out of the brooder, a few times, it has up until now been sleeping in a blanket on the sofa, it just ends up running round the house chirping very loudly, looking for one of us to pick it up, it ain't silly :)

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If the baby is warm and healthy you probly got a needy chick that wants to be held, i would try tucking them both under a swaetshirt on your chest or belly when you watch tv [​IMG]

8. bubbaloo

Feb 7, 2012
    uk
    Yes , it would love to spend all day in my jumper, it also loves burying its head into my hair, good news though, things have seemed to settle after a day and night with the new chick, they are getting along fine and no more chirping, i guess it was just a matter of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by