Chick still has a runny nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizmcd, Jan 28, 2013.

1. lizmcd

lizmcd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Florida
    Im at a loss, my sons baby chick about a month and a half old has a runny nose the past month. She gave it to my older girls and roster and a silkie chick that we bought at the same time. I put everyone on antibiotic's in the water and also have been giving the baby medicated food. I lost the silkie from the URI but the other chick seems fine except her consistent runny nose and sneezing. She's growing beautiful and even wants out with the older girls now witch has made a complete recovery and I've taken them off the meds after two weeks. Idk what else to do for her. It just won't go away. Please help !!!!'

2. lizmcd

lizmcd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Florida
    Can someone please help !! Idk what's wrong and what else to do ???

3. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your silkie, and that you are having such a hard time with the little chick. I really don't know much about how to treat little chicks, wether you could treat them like you would an older chicken or pullet. Have you been giving her the antibiotics also, or just the medicated feed? I don't know why someone has not answered you by now, I see it's been a long time since you posted your request for help, and I myself know that when you have a sick one, every minute seems like an hour when you are waiting for help. Hopefully someone who knows will answer you soon, there are lots of folks on here that would know and could give you good advise. I have been treating a pullet for the past week with Tetracycline, that seems to be the most popular treatment for respiratiory infections, and so far she is doing better and my young rooster who was knocking at deaths door is fully recovered. Just the pullet, she is still coughing, but she we just aquired her among 9 of her sisters, which started the whole mess. They were all malnourished and not well tended, they were in a weakened condition when they came. I lost 2 of the girls before I knew how to treat them. The Tetracycline has been good (in the drinking water), have also been treating the others in the pen with the medicated water also, even they don't seem sick. I learned that people antibiotics can also be used on chickens like Cephelexin for respiratory infections, also vicks salve can be put on their beek to help with breathing, VetRx (the chicken form of vicks salve I think) is supposed to also be very good. I got some of that too and have been putting it on their beaks and the top of their head, and a drop or two under the wings. Just a little rubbed on there so they can smell the vapors. It doesn't take much. Instructions in the box. You can also put it in their nose, and in their water so that it gets on their noses when the drink. A lot of folks recommend this VetRx. Seems to work pretty good. You might try that. Hope someone more knowledgable answers you soon. Just be sure to keep her warm, and I wouldn't recommend letting her out with the rest until she is fully recovered, otherwise it may start up all over again. Good Luck, and I hope she recovers quickly.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by