1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick still has pasty butt and is getting worse by the hour

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gbartha, Jun 7, 2016.

1. gbartha

gbartha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    I have 6 chicks that we hatched last friday. The last chick to arrive was the smallest of them all and very docile. We noticed that she slept alot and was not loosing her feathers like the others. Then I noticed pasty butt. I have cleaned the area and put Olive oil on it. I have fed them eggs and yogurt with their feed. I have put ACV in the water (1/2 teaspoon to one mason jar of water). She just hides under the ecobrooder (brinsea) and sleeps while the others are up and pecking around. She has had the pasty butt for about 24 hours now but she is getting weaker and less social. HELP.

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I have given chopped oats to any chick I noticed with pasty butt. They love them and it works fast to solidify poop. I just gave as a small treat a few times a day. It may be treating the symptom only...not sure. But if it makes her feel better she will eat more and gain strength.
    I would also probably give vitamins in water rather than ACV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by