Chick still hatching

FarmerGirl101

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 20, 2016
California
I am watching my neighbor’s chickens and their duck showed me some eggs. I do have chickens but never hatched them from eggs. I found a hen laying on some eggs and one hatched. Two hours later one more hatched. One egg is unfertilized, another is uncertain, and the third one is hatching. Two hours and no results. I understand that it might be resting. The mama is currently sitting on the eggs as I don’t have an incubator. I do have some questions: How long does it take for the egg to hatch from first crack to chick out?? What should I do after 24 hours with no results?? All info will help. I will update tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 5
From first pip it can take at least 24 hours, though unzipping should be reasonably quick. I've recently had to help a Button quail that was only just ready to hatch after 36 hours! The mother should keep sitting for three days after the first chick hatches to give the others a chance to catch up. The chicks are born having absorbed the remains of their egg yolk which sustains them for up to three days. It's important the hatching egg has humidity so it doesn't dry out before it can hatch as if the membrane dries it will start to squeeze and eventually suffocate the chick. Hens are able to produce the right humidity so let her do her thing.

If you have to help, slowly peel back just the shell bit by bit to see whether there are still veins in the membrane that are still filled with blood. If there's still blood, leave it be. If you can't see blood then slowly peel the membrane back and give the chick an opportunity to do as much of the work as possible to push out.

Do give us an update please! Aren't they adorable?!

Back
Top Bottom