Chick stink?

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I have a 2x4 x 2 high galvanized tub (like the feed stores) for a brooder. I placed pine shavings in there and once every couple weeks clean it out. The tub doesnt stink, but the chicks smell lol. Is there anything I can do or is this normal? The smell came once they started getting their feathers. Its almost a stinky coop smell, but on the birds lol

I’d say it needs more frequent cleaning. The smell could be stuck in their feathers. The feed store tanks get cleaned out daily.

I clean my bathtub size brooder out every 2 days with only 6 chicks.

Other times I’ve seen chicks themselves actually smell is bad pasty butt or sour crop.

They make a lot of stink quickly as they age. My ones about to go outside can clear a room when they drop some fresh ones. Thankfully kept isolated in the bathroom so I can turn on the vent! But they themselves never stink.

Agreed, brought my four in today for playtime in the kitchen, and I swear, in the 45 minutes they were in, they dropped about 20 poops, and almost all of them stunk to high Heaven. The chicks themselves do have an odor, but I like it. It's not offensive.

Back
Top Bottom