Chick Stopped Growing

krb2460

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Everyone. I can't figure out what is wrong with one of my chicks. I hatched 7 eggs back in Nov and 6 are still alive. However, out of the 6 one of the chicks did not grow. It started out like the others but at around 3-4 weeks just stopped growing. The other chicks are about 3 times bigger now. It is also not as strong as the others and stays ruffled up like it's cold. I still have it under heat and take it out with the others when it's warm enough. It eats, drinks and poops normally. The only other odd thing is a small bump on the top of it's head that has stayed the same since birth. This chick is almost 10 weeks old. Any ideas?

I have seen a few birds on here that just didn't grow like their hatch mates, sometimes when they're the same breed sometimes different breeds, not sure why it happens, hope you get some good answers.

They were all suppose to be Black Copper Marans. However one turned out to be a Wheaten Marans.

I had a blue cooper maran that did the same thing. I tried separating him in a dog crate to "fatten him up a bit". It didn't work. He never did thrive. Like Hennible said, sometimes there are chickens like that.

You may want to try poly vi sol vitamins in his water.

The bump on his head is probably just a birth defect. If the lump starts growing, I would be worried he has cancer or some sort of other tumor. As long as it stays the same size though, I wouldn't worry.

Check him over thoroughly for mites. Also check his poo for worms. I don't think it's worms though-simply for the fact that the others are doing well.

He also may be at the bottom of the pecking order, therefore getting less food. This may be something you want to keep an eye on.

I have separated it from the others so it will get plenty to eat. I also wormed it, just in case and gave it a dose of Nutri-Drench. I guess I'll just keep doing what I have been. I'm just baffled by the stunted growth.

Runts aren't abnormal in most animals. I had one chick that at 12 weeks was half the size of her hatchmates. And when I was visiting another BYCer, she had a scrawny little half-feathered chick that was like a quarter the size of its hatchmates. It'll either catch up or it won't.

I have a buff orpington pullet that is just shy of 29 weeks and she looks to have stopped growing. She's about 2.5 lbs and just within the last 2-3 days she is showing slight redness in the face (this has long been waited for haha) She's been living in the house all Winter and eats like a horse.

I also talked to someone who had a pullet take (I think) 40 weeks to reach 5 lbs. It just happens, but I figure as long as their healthy it's all good. Maybe yours just needs a little extra time to fill out :)

Back
Top Bottom