Chick stretching neck and mouth--kind of like yawning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shared Acres, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    During the day I didn't notice this behavior, but last night when I was holding one of them (showgirl silkie chicks), after about 20 minutes it started to stretch it's neck out and open it's mouth.

Think like what we do when we go to bed when we stretch and yawn, that's kind of what it looked like. She did it several times. Some back to back, others with 30 seconds to a minute or two in between.

This morning she's not doing it.

I looked at this: http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

But
    I didn't see anything that would be of use. My husband said that one of the ones he held did it also, but I don't think it did it as much and it would eventually stop.

Should I worm them to be on the safe side? My husband thought they were just pushing food down their bodies.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Our chicks do it also and has never seemed to turn into anything. We also have a few of our older girls that do it. Watch them but I think it is just stretching.

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    That's what I thought at first, just scared me that she KEPT doing it!

4. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    We have a Vorwerk pullet that seems to do that sometimes. It is almost like something is caught in her throat. She is fine, nothing wrong so I am curious about that behavior as well.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Normal, no need to worry !!! I have older chicks that still do it once in a while !! Even see a hen do it time to time.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    When mine do this behavior it seems to be when their crop is full. I think they eat so much and are trying to get all that food down in their crop.

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    My BR girls started doing that arund 8 weeks when her flock mates were trying to crow. She still occasionally does it as if she is trying to crow, but NOTHING comes out.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That is a normal behavior...different birds do it at different times.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I've been watching this behavior for a year now, and the only thing I can come up with is that it is a bred-out behavior. Baby birds usually hold their mouth open when mom is coming with the food. In chickens, I think it's the remnants of that behavior.

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I asked this question about a couple months ago and someone said it was gape worm. But never seemed to to turn into anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by