Chick struggled to detatch from shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WinniePooh, Sep 1, 2014.

1. WinniePooh

WinniePooh New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Question, can a chick get a slight hematoma/bruise when it has had a hard time detaching from the shell? Is this normal? And how long should I wait to put the chick in with the rest that hatched out?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome. Hope you enjoy the site. First of all hope your chick doing ok. When you say it had trouble detaching from the shell do you mean it was attached to the shell by umbilical type cord or stuck to the shell by its body. Sometimes when they hatch they do still have it's cord attached where it's yolk sac would have been absorbed. I would still leave it incubator till dry and fluffy or until your hatch is complete. When you do take it out I would give it a good check over giving its navel a good clean and dry. Wishing you the best with your chick/ chicks.:fl. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. WinniePooh

WinniePooh New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    It was the umbilical type cord. It didn't take it very long to finally detach, but this morning when I checked it, it seemed like the bottom was a little swollen and possible bruised. Just wondering if I should be concerned or if it will go away. Thank you!
    Also, what would I use to clean with?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sometimes chicks hatch with a little pot belly, where the yolk would be absorbed. Its pretty normal and should go down on its own. I wouldn't clean it unless there's an open wound or something of that sort. Just keep it dry and give it time is my advice.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by