1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick struggling with walking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happima, Oct 8, 2011.

1. happima

happima Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My 4 week naked neck just started having issues walking this past week. I've been putting the girls on the hardwood floor since they were a week, just to have some roaming time outside the brooder. This past few days, I've noticed that Oz (the naked neck) is having problems getting secure walkind and slips and slides and can't really figure where to put her feet. Is this just an awkward stage? Should I just keep her off hard surfaces or could there be another issue here.

Here's a video to give you a peak:
    http:[email protected]/6223322209/

2. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My son just said that video didn't show her real problems. The video doesn't really capture it, but she does do the splits and really falls over sometimes when she tries to walk.

Hope someone can help.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    splayed legs? Not sure what she has though [​IMG]

4. fezlet

fezlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    I read that hardwood floors and any slick surface aren't really good for them. Mine will do a slip and slide when I put them on the bathroom floor. Try putting her on a rug or a mat where she can get some stability and see how she walks. Don't remember where I read that at or if it is even refutable, but I'd give it a shot.

5. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Unfortunately, my little chick has taken a turn for the worse. She just can't walk at all now and is lying down with her leg sprawled. I went ahead and drop fed her some Poly-vi-sol in case this is Riboflavin deficiency. I also have separated her from the other chicks. Wow, I feel like this happened very fast and at an age where I thought they were older and stronger. I have no idea what happened or if the other chicks are at risk. The others seem very healthy and full of energy:(.

We'll see what happens during the night. Poor little chick.

As always, insight appreciated.

6. fezlet

fezlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Good idea on the Poly-vi-sol. Hope that'll pick her back up [​IMG]

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The link in my signature has a lot of info on leg issues. I hope it helps. [​IMG]

8. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope she pulls thru.....it is adorable......[​IMG]

9. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Talked to a vet who said it could be riboflavin deficiency, thiamin deficiency or Vitamin D deficiency and to get unmedicated feed (which could make it hard to absorb thiamin, as I understand) and some poultry vitamins.

Going to feed store as soon as it opens to try to get this stuff.

She's still alive, eating, chirping, but can't even really stand to eat now.

10. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by