chick stuck in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigbird, Nov 14, 2008.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Help, please. I have a BSmaran that is stuck in the egg. Today is day 23 of incubating. Everything else that was gong to hatch has already hatched. This morning, I was told to cut a small hole in the fat end of the egg so that it could get some air. I did this and exposed his face and beak. He started to bleed so I stopped, wrapped him in a warm washcloth and put him back in the bator. The temp is 99.7 and the humidity is 65. Throughout the day, I have been checking on him. Although he is breathing and peeping he is making no attempt to free himself from this egg. I recently took him out of the cloth because the humidity was at 70 and he just looked really slimmy. What do I do now?? How long will it take this blood to dry up? When should I try and pull him out again? I don't wnat him to die. Thanks in advance for all you help and advice. I will be checking this site often. I feel like I am running out of time.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When did he pip the shell? Sometimes it takes them 24 hours to zip out, they need to rest alot, learn to breathe and finish absorbing the yolk. Humidity at 70 is not a bad thing when he has pipped.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  3. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    i have some experience in this

one bump up humidity a little ( you don't want to drown it )

two if it has a little hole already started pick a little off at a time tiny pieces.

three most important if you see blood stop put it back in the bator and wrap it up in a moist towel do not touch it again for an hour or two or more sometimes.

four still important do not rush the first time i did this i was up from 5:00 pm to 7:00 am with school the next day i faild a test but saved a chick i will deal with that.

five repeat all the steps very slowly.

if anyone else here has something to add i think that nifty had a good thread explaining how to do this.

4. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:good point if it just turned day twenty three or it just piped recently don't touch

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    There was a video very recently of a double-yolker hatching -

she showed very clearly how to chip away slowly at the shell, there was a little bleeding, she wrapped in wet towel, dampened the membrane with water, and so on.

A very valuable video.

6. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    [​IMG] hi chickabee how are your eggs?

whispers send me some delahorns! [​IMG]

7. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    It didn't pip at all. Since today was day number 23 and I heard him chirping inside, I was told to cut a hole in the large end of the egg so it could get some air and not drown.
    I took the paper towel off of him because someone told me that the blood and slim would never dry up because he was too moist.
    He has been like this is 830 am this morning
    He is not making any attempt to get out of this egg and it still looks bloody and moist around his face. His whole head and beak is out of this egg.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd say he wasn't ready to hatch out just yet. Your temp and humidity could have been too low. I've had them hatch out on day 25 before with no problems. If he is bloody he is not ready to hatch out. If his head and beak are out and he is breathing fine I would leave him alone for awhile til he can rest and absorb more yolk, or you could have hit a vein and that's why the blood. He may or may not make it.

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    frow hi chickabee how are your eggs?

whispers send me some delahorns! wink

what eggs? i don't have no eggs! i wish i had me some eggs

sheesh i don't even have no chickans [​IMG]

10. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008