chick stuck in shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AR Country Chick, Mar 18, 2012.

1. AR Country Chick

AR Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    I have lots of pipping and zipping going on in my bator - 2 are successfully out so far. YAY!! Didn't have great luck with this last time. However I have one chick who has pipped zipped and worked off the top of the egg so top half of it's body is out. He/she has been trying to get the rest of the way out for a couple hours now, but can't seem to do it. Should I worry? I have 4 more eggs that are pipping now and I'm seriously fighting the urge to open the bator to help the stuck one out.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I did end up helping my poor chickies out of the her shell 33 hours later !!! I carefully hold her with a warm wet paper towel and slowy pull the shell carefully, not the membrane. Boy, shes a very happy chickie !! One of her her toe was a little crooked from trying to get out ! But shes fine and healthy !!

3. AR Country Chick

AR Country Chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009

Thanks!!! That makes me feel a lot better!!!! I guess I'll just have to sit on my hands for a while yet. Just checked again and now have 5 pipping/zipping. I don't want to shrink wrap them to help the stuck one. Considering that I only set 12 eggs I'm super excited to see 8 in progress so far. :) I set 24 last year and only got one hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by