chick stuck to the outside of the shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by js9689, Jan 20, 2015.

1. js9689

js9689 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    June Park, FL
    So I'm about half way through hatching a batch and I have this one little guy who is still wet in the incubator and he's got his side and bottom side of his wing stuck to the outside of a shell. I don't know if it's his shell or not. I had an unexpected drop in humidity last night while I was sleeping, which I'm not very happy about. Also, the inner shell membrane was really hard for him to get out of, so I don't know if it's a combination of the membrane plus the drop in humidity got him stuck to it. I was thinking about using warm water after he dries off a bit and try to un-stuck the little booger. Any suggestions?

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Pop him out and try warm water on a q tip to get him loose. I'd do it now so he only has to dry off once and he doesn't get any more stress than he already has.Just watch the humidity in the bator to make sure it doesn't drop to low you may have to kick it up a little if needed.

3. js9689

js9689 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    June Park, FL
    The warm water and q tip did the trick! He's one of the most lively little hatchlings I've seen in a while. Wouldn't sit still for a minute. Thanks DanEP!

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    [​IMG] Glad to hear it. I've had to do this in the past and it worked well for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by