Chick suddenly can’t walk

WahineChick

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
Aloha all. I have a (approximately) six week old chick, frizzle Ameraucana mix, that I have had for two weeks. He was completely fine three days ago; would greet me every time I came to the brooder by flying on me and perching on my shoulder And talk up a storm to me. Three days ago I found him sitting on the bottom next to the feed and water, unable to get up. after looking him over, I realized he was chirping eating and drinking, no other signs of disease, but could not stand, and when he tried, he flops around trying to get up and around, and I often find him on his back, chirping happily when I find him. I immediately separated him from his family. I thought he hurt himself, but am wondering if this is a sudden onset of a neurological issue? Anyone with experience, advice would be so incredibly grateful. He is such a sweet baby.

Can you give him some water and electrolytes with vitamins? What do you feed? Has he had any watery droppings? Do you have any pictures of it?

Aloha all. I have a (approximately) six week old chick, frizzle Ameraucana mix, that I have had for two weeks. He was completely fine three days ago; would greet me every time I came to the brooder by flying on me and perching on my shoulder And talk up a storm to me. Three days ago I found him sitting on the bottom next to the feed and water, unable to get up. after looking him over, I realized he was chirping eating and drinking, no other signs of disease, but could not stand, and when he tried, he flops around trying to get up and around, and I often find him on his back, chirping happily when I find him. I immediately separated him from his family. I thought he hurt himself, but am wondering if this is a sudden onset of a neurological issue? Anyone with experience, advice would be so incredibly grateful. He is such a sweet baby.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the chick and his poop?
If possible, video of his actions may be helpful as well - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

My goodness...thank you for replies.. yes, he is on v-tal, and every few days I give them water with ACV. No watery poops... startedelectrolytes this morning
Can you give him some water and electrolytes with vitamins? What do you feed? Has he had any watery droppings? Do you have any pictures of it?

Attachments

• 8C99D269-DFB4-423F-8DCD-78AFB7B8A027.jpeg
    8C99D269-DFB4-423F-8DCD-78AFB7B8A027.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome To BYC
I’m working on a video upload. We are in remote maui, so satellite is slow and spotty. I did notice his legs shake as of this morning. His whole body has been shaking since I found him in the coop, as if he is cold, and it would go away when he would sit in my lap. But it is now constant. I have a video of him on his side and his legs shake, as if he is cold. Maui resources are slim, and no nutridrench on island, maybe this week.

Can you post some photos of the chick and his poop?
If possible, video of his actions may be helpful as well - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.
Video attached. he just started a shaking move

You need to upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here for us to see it. His droppings look normal. Could he have been injured or kept from food and water by others? Make sure that your vitamins have E, riboflavin and thiamine. Some cooked egg for selenium is also good.

You need to upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here for us to see it. His droppings look normal. Could he have been injured or kept from food and water by others? Make sure that your vitamins have E, riboflavin and thiamine. Some cooked egg for selenium is also good.
I will upload, thank you. How much of each should I give him in the meantime?

Back
Top Bottom