Chick suddenly died-- Is 90 degrees too cool for a 5 day old chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ENGEC35, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ENGEC35

ENGEC35 In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    Hi All!

She was 5 days old and she had a foot/leg injury (it looked like her middle toe wouldn't straighten on one foot, or that her leg also would not extend past a 90 degree angle).

We didn't move her to the brooder until 36 hours later, and she seemed to be doing very well except for the hobbling around on that foot.

We tried to help the foot by rubbing it in our fingers over the course of the days, she seemed to like it when we did this as she would relax in our hands.

She was hydrated (I had about a cup of filtered water with a tbsp of apple cider vinegar in the water diluted in) and had been eating both starter crumbles and yesterday, we fed her mashed boiled egg yolk which she seemed to love. She ate a good amount during the day and again last night.

Last night, I set up a heating pad in my room and wrapped it in enough t-shirts so that the temperature read around 90-100 degrees and let her sit on top of my chest and hang with us while she ate egg yolk and I pet her.

A few times, she took steps and tumbled over, but it was in my bed on soft pillows and I didn't think there was anytime she was hurt at all from this.

This morning, I cleaned her brooder, laid new paper towels for her to walk on, and I picked her up and dipped her beak into the water a few times to make sure she had a few sips before I left for work.

I came home for a visit only 3 hours later and she was gone, just laying on her belly in the same spot I had placed her in this morning.

My Mother in law was home with my daughter, said the bird was chirping through the morning, but not as loud and vibrantly as she normally did.

Can anyone guess why we may have lost her?
    :(

2. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Songster

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    Sounds like failure to thrive or complications from the toe thing. There are a ton of factors that could cause this to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: