Chick suddenly lame?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickMandy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    My husband noticed one of our six week old chicks just laying in the brooder box this morning. He separated her from the group because she was getting trampled. Palpation of her legs showed tenderness at the joint on her left leg (lots of peeping). When cleaning their boxes the other day, he accidentally dropped a brick (used to boost their water fountain) and thinks he may have hit her. Since none of the other chicks are experiencing similar walking/standing difficulties, we think that it may be an injury.

If it is an injury, is there anything special we should do for her? A splint or other "stability" bandage? She is just laying in the bedding, not moving or trying to walk. Is there something else we should be looking out for to indicate something other than an injury?

Thanks for your help!

Mandy

2. LaneHill

LaneHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
  3. ChickMandy

ChickMandy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Amaranth Ontario
    Thanks for that! I didn't even bother scrolling down the index, I just stopped at "raising baby chicks." Hopefully someone on that board might be able to help.

4. LaneHill

LaneHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    It may take a few minutes but I'm sure someone will come on & know how to tell if it's broken & possibly splint/tape it
    Hope she's feeling better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by