Chick suddenly sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nerdymom, Mar 10, 2017.

1. nerdymom

nerdymom New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    My poor chick was purchased yesterday, approximately a day or two old. She and the other chicks were fine, drinking well, eating well, etc. Just an hour ago, I found her laying down, stretched out, making a strange peeping noise. I picked her up, noticed some poo stuck to her backside and cleaned her. I applied some Vaseline, and put her back in the brooder. She nearly fell over, like she couldn't hold herself up. She closed her eyes, and hasn't opened them since. I took her out of the brooder, wrapped her loosely in a towel and set her on a heating pad. She started acting like she's choking, or gasping. I started giving her sugar water from a dropper , but she won't open her eyes or stand. She is still breathing, but occasionally opening and closing her mouth. Please help, I don't want to lose this little girl.

2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    How warm is the brooder?
    Did you check her butt yesterday?

3. nerdymom

nerdymom New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Yes, I've checked them all multiple times, and addressed each one as necessary. This was one that hadn't had any issues. Their brooder is warm enough that they hang out under the light when they want, and wander around otherwise. They aren't sleeping piled.

4. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I'd drip the sugar water still ,
    What do you have to treat her?
    I'm in Canada our brands are different

5. nerdymom

nerdymom New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    I don't have anything on hand at the moment unfortunately. I am still offering her the sugar water, but she seems to be going downhill fast. [​IMG]

6. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Sorry , You need to get some supplies .
    A drug store would have kids liquid vitamins with out iron to add to the water.
    Electrolytes for the water
    I don't know what to say ....

7. nerdymom

nerdymom New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Thank you for your advice. She just died. [​IMG][​IMG] I will get those things tomorrow, in case any one else starts feeling poorly.

8. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I'm so sorry , but just like kids you have to be prepared for things . I hope you have knowledgeable people at a vet or feed store to help you.. good luck and please don't beat yourself up the first few days are the toughest times .

9. nerdymom

nerdymom New Egg

Mar 10, 2017

Thank you. I hope the rest of my ladies are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by