chick suddenly with neck twitches after cleaning brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PompomTheoAndMP, Mar 31, 2017.

1. PompomTheoAndMP

PompomTheoAndMP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Central California
    hey yall, I was cleaning out my brooder and as I was putting the chicks back I noticed my Delaware would occasionally sort of jerk her head to the side of towards her body? it only lasts a few seconds and there's no other symptoms, she's responsive and eats and drinks fine. no other chicks seem to have this problem either. beforehand I fed them moistened feed if that helps. I currently have her separated, is there any way to treat her?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes. Selenium and vitamin E. Do a search on "wry neck" to get the precise dosage.

3. PompomTheoAndMP

Mar 28, 2016
    Central California
    i can try the vitamin E but she can hold her head up fine, unlike what you'd see in wry neck. could wry also cause them to jerk their heads in and to the side?

4. FamilyFarmCO

FamilyFarmCO Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    I have never heard of that. I hope she's ok. Good luck

5. PompomTheoAndMP

Mar 28, 2016
    Central California

here's a video I took, I also noticed her crop is pretty hard. is it possible that it's impacted crop? how would I treat that?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  6. PompomTheoAndMP

Mar 28, 2016
    Central California
    ok so I heard massaging the crop can help chicks if their having trouble and I did that. she was fine for about 40 min or so then she started twitching again, albeit not as often or for as long. hopefully it's just digestion troubles, still open to any advice!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by