chick surprise... groans....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AmyLM, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I was not interested in doing chicks this year because I'm 8 months pregnant and with about 180 layer hens, 4 roosters, 4 ducks, 3 dogs, an eggs business, housework and a husband to take care of raising chicks was not in the plan this year! But it appears two of my silkie hens conspired with a blue egg laying EE to ruin my little plan. The EE laid more than 20 eggs in the back of a shelf unit in the horse stall and pushed straw up inside... and then walks away every day.... leaving two sillies (one dark slate blue, one partridge) that aren't even laying yet... but tonight my husband called me out to the horse stalls going... "I hear peeping...." I was like... no. No. No. Can't be. ...... apparently it can. One little black clean legged muffed chick is already hatched and the silkie "moms" are very proud of their little one. And protective too.

It will be interesting to see what they will look like. The moms an EE the father (probably) is a gorgeous (handsome?) Blue and red Roo that's half black silken and half EE...

Not my picture because I can't get my boy to hold still but mines a dead ringer for this one and he's the same mix as mine.
    [​IMG]

There is the possibility some of the young boys I took to auction. 2-3 weeks ago could be the fathers ... they were mostly just mixed splash maran/silkie/ee and were nearly all blue, splash, lavender, or combo... so that still wouldn't be too bad I guess.

Going to be interesting to see what they turn out like. But darn those hens... make 're work for me!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Oh my goodness… I feel your pain. I have two hyper broody hens here and a few weeks ago one went broody, AGAIN, and I said to my husband I'm not going to let her hatch chicks. Well, so much for that idea! ay MIL calls me a few weeks later and tells me she found my broody, behind the flowerpots at her porch, complete with a nest full of chicks, happily hatching…

Enjoy your "oopsies"!

3. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Well at least the mama's will take care of them and you won't have to actually brood them inside! That'll be a relief!

4. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    Still just one chick. Ive tried canceling the eggs but I can't see inside well enough to know how many are good eggs. Those are some thick shells and my light sucks. I'm thinking of just getting some buddies for the chick. But if I do inevitably that's when ALL the eggs will hatch.

Trouble (the chick) is a pretty spoiled little chick with two silkie mommas to fuss over her (hopefully). No longer solid black but black with a tan/grey under belly and legs that are half black and half yellow. Trouble has tiny little muffs and beard. The mother's an EE but I'm not 100% sure of which one or the dad.... guessing game. Definitely not a silkie despite its foster mommas. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by