Chick Swallowed a Twig!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cheyen, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I currently have three five or six week old chicks inside, and decided to let them out to play. Well, looked over at them and two of them started chasing the other for something it had in its mouth. I picked up the chick and realized it had a twig in its mouth. The twig was about three or four centimeters in length, and maybe half a centimeter in diameter. Before I could pluck it from its mouth, the little dummy swallowed it whole! Will it be alright, or should I do something to help it? [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

All you can do is make sure the chick has access to grit. I don't think it will be a problem.

3. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Okay. What can I give it as grit? I don't know if I have anything that small!

4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    You can give gravel the size of small peas and smaller. Or go to the feed store or wherever you buy feed and buy a small bag of grit. It's cheap. Another thing is... You can look on the edges of the street, sometimes small rocks gather there.
    Good luck.

5. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by