Chick swallowed twine, now dieing

Found your post in our frantic search for help this morning. One of our four-week-old chicks swallowed a piece of a rubber band (we think, did not witness it.) She was frantic, gagging for a while, now very lethargic, just wants to sleep and gags a little now and then. I was glad to hear the little chick who swallowed twine recovered, hopefully ours will too. Any other advice you have from your experience?

Shortly after posting this, I gave the chick a few drops of water with a medicine dropper. I didn't want to give too much and accidentally drown her, so I was pretty sparing with it. I don't know if it had to do with the water, or if the rubber band just ran its course through her crop, but not long afterward, she perked up, started behaving more normally and peeping to get out of her cage. I was truly shocked because she looked so TERRIBLE earlier. You could tell she was completely miserable, so weak and pathetic looking, drifting in and out of consciousness, moisture leaking out of her beak since she couldn't swallow. She truly looked like a dying animal. I was trying to decide if it was more cruel to let her die slowly or if I should try to end her misery somehow. Also, with two kids, four other chickens and a full-time job, I knew I couldn't spend the next week coaxing water, electrolytes and yogurt into her! I have not seen the rubber band "pass" yet, but she has been eating and drinking, enthusiastically gobbling up mealworms, bits of strawberry, and bread soaked in olive oil, which I read can help with digestion. I wanted to share the story in case anyone else has a similar issue. Don't give up hope, your little peep may pull through after all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom