Chick Swing???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thewatsonfarm, Apr 6, 2018.

1. thewatsonfarm

thewatsonfarm Songster

Mar 22, 2015
    Orange County, California
    Anyone have a swing for their chicks or hens? I love the idea of introducing one to my 3-week olds. Pictures or other details would be much appreciated!

HenniesInMyHeart likes this.
  2. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    I don't have one but want one for my chickens... not sure they would use it though.
    Yours would probably be scared of it for a while but might get used to it eventually.

3. thewatsonfarm

thewatsonfarm Songster

Mar 22, 2015
    Well, I ordered this one on Amazon this afternoon. It will arrive Monday. I will be able to hang it from the lid of our brooder so the chicks can try it out. I figure now is the best time to get them to try something, right? And worst case scenario, I only wasted $5.

20180406_202005.png

4. Thyme4Chickens

Thyme4Chickens Songster

Mar 21, 2018
    SE WI (zone 5)
    That's so cute! If your chicks like/use it, I hope you will post pics.... or a video!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've seen videos from genuine BYCers and after a while the chickens learn how to get it swinging.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Was thinking it' too frail" for full grown chickens but, the idea of it in a brooder is great! Chicks are light and like to try out wings so they are a natural to explore it.

7. reneepren

reneepren Chirping

Apr 4, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I got a swing for my adult chickens and they would never use it so now I just got 10 new baby chicks and I followed the directions and hung it low to the ground prior to their arrival it is less than a week and they are already sitting on it so that is the key I think

8. thewatsonfarm

thewatsonfarm Songster

Mar 22, 2015
    Will do for sure! It's supposed to come tomorrow night by 8, according to Amazon. I can hardly wait!

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I would start them young. I introduced my chickens to a swing at maybe 6 months of age. They hated it and it rendered like a 3 ft. x 3ft. area of the coop useless because they wouldn't even walk or scratch or peck anywhere near the thing! They gave it a wide berth.

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I had a swing, it was simply a small branch about 2" off the floor with wire looped around the ends and secured to the brooder cover, which was hardware cloth.

Yes it did get used. Of course it turned out to be a little roo using it, and he'd leap off it and cause it to smash against the wall over and over.

swing.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: