Chick tailbone exposed

commonroots

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
We have 4 little chicks about 5 days old. One of our Buff Orpington's tailbone is exposed. At first I thought her vent was just plugged, but she is definitely missing feathers, and the exposure looks and feels like bone. I haven't noticed her or the other chicks pecking at her behind, so I'm wondering if it could be disease. It also looks as though the bone may be turned downward abnormally. She doesn't seem to be phased by the lack of feathers, still hops around happily. Should I be alarmed? Should I just watch to see if she makes it?

exposedbone.jpg

Eeeek! That's just creepy. I am sorry to say that I would opt to cull that bird. That much exposed bone will likely get an infection. I think the other birds will probably discover it first and kill the poor bird by picking it to death. Neither death seems quick or merciful. At least by culling you could offer the bird a quick end.

Good luck and I'm sorry.

That's what I was afraid of. Poor little thing. I think we'll probably get it done sooner than later.
I appreciate the input - thanks!

If she seems well in herself, put her in a separate cage with a lamp — chickens can be amazing at healing. Don't feel too bad if you took the earlier advice as of course infection is a possibility with that amount of exposed tissue. I tend to go by behaviour and if a bird is eating, drinking and keeping up with its mates I'll give it a go, no matter what the injury.
smile.png

Incidentally you may want to consider what did it. Is it possible a rat could have attacked her? It may also have been the other chicks, but if so, you would soon see signs of pecking on other birds.

best wishes
Erica

Thanks for the advice, Erica. As we watched her, we noticed she wasn't able to sit down at all, so sleeping was difficult for her. No other signs of rats, but that's a good thought - I'll be on the lookout. We decided to cull her this afternoon, and the other chicks seem to be ok so far. Our first cull
sad.png
Not fun, but I think it was necessary.

Just a note for others that have to face culling, my husband snipped the chick's head with pruning shears while holding her within a plastic bag of pine chips to keep from spreading any blood. It's definitely more gruesome than asphyxiation, but much quicker and painless.

Back
Top Bottom