Chick taming ?????????????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Baby Chick, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Baby Chick

Baby Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    I love the chicks that we get every year & of course they are scared of me cuz I'm the big scary person!!!!!! [​IMG] So I was wondering if there is a easy way to get the chicks use to me & actually like me so they are not so afraid. It just breaks my haert when I have to pick them up & they start peeping for their Momma. [​IMG] I will just put my hand in the cage & let them get use to it moving around & when they are older & we put them outside in there little pen I will just sit in there for like 30min. & watch them. Is there anything eles I should be doing or that will make it seem that I am their Mother? [​IMG]

Thaaaankssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Approach from the side rather than above as much as you can, so you don't set off their instinct to avoid hawks, etc. Once they get used to the big bad hand, put a little treat or even feed in your palm and let them get used to eating off it. Don't pick them up against their will, while they are struggling against it. Slip your hand under their chest and lift open-palmed as much as you can, hopefully while they are distracted with food, or calm and accepting.

3. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    They're probably going to peep no matter what, but I found that just sitting with my hand in the brooder(especially with my wedding band on) helps them to get used to me. I also feed them meal worms and some of their feed from my hand, so now when I'm trying to clean them, they are jumping and pecking at me the whole time, looking for food...lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by