Chick temperature, heat lamps and a cold house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickawawa, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Chickawawa

Chickawawa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Tawawa, Ohio
    Hi! This is our first time with chicks so I wanted to throw this out there to get some opinions.

We have 9 chicks about a week old and 3 in the three week range. We brought them home last Friday and Saturday and had the heat lamp set to 95°. I was going to raise the lamp so we could get to the 90° mark as I've read I am supposed to do but some (even the older chicks) are still hanging out under the lamp occasionally and some are finding other parts of the brooder. It's probably also important to know we keep our house at 58° (sweatshirts are cheaper than propane).

Common sense is telling me it's okay to leave the lamp where it is for awhile but being a newbie I'd feel better with some validation or better advice.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    It shouldnt hurt to leave it, but you can move the light up some. They will probably still hang out under the light some but can start getting their bodies acclimated to something less than 90 degrees. if they are cold, they will spend more time under the light

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If they have plenty of room to get away from the lamp, you don't have to raise it. A hen doesn't decrease her body temperature, the chicks just spend less time under her as they feather. If, OTOH, they are in a rather limited space and are avoiding the lamp and/or panting, I'd raise it until you can decrease wattage. Not everyone measures temperature, BTW. Some of us just watch the chicks often and if they are trying to scoot under each other or climb into a pile to sleep, they're cold. If they sleep side-by-side under the light, they're comfy. If they avoid the light, they're too warm. I find this method much easier. Don't worry about your house being chilly. Chicks feather more quickly with access to cool or even cold air for their play time and I believe it makes for an easier transition to their coop than if they've never felt air cooler than 74.

2 people like this.
  4. Chickawawa

Chickawawa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Tawawa, Ohio
    No panting and sleeping side by side. Don't seem cold so I'm just going to move it as I see fit.They are right in the dining room so easily monitored. Thanks so much for the advice.

5. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I didn't know this! Now I won't worry so much when I open a window! I was so worried about the draft. I judge by their behavior too, if I put a thermometer in there, I obsess if it's even a degree off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by