chick terror bad little ganster chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carousel, Feb 18, 2009.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Okay
    I have a live wire in my brooder!
    I have 4 brooders set up a total of 43 chicks.
    they are NOT over crowded
    I have 2 red lights in the room and one crematic heat emitter (heat lamp no light) that is covering 2 brooders.
    I have one silver leghorn chick that was going after eyes (removed any light colored chicks form her brooder) - she went after the dark spot - their eye.
    So put only dark chicks in her brooder, and then she started going after feathers, every few min I was hearing a chick cry from her gabbing them.
    SO I then put her in the biggest brooder with the most chicks (still lots of space) figuring she at least would have to spread out her damage!
    I then put a divot of grass in that brooder for them to peck on.
    these are days old chicks hatched sunday.
    any other suggestions?
    I'm keeping the room more dimly lit hoping to keep things more mellow, but am open to suggestions for this naughty girl.
    thanks!

2. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    I put mine like that in chicken jail for the night. I overturned a small wire cage (actually a stainless steel bath caddy) on her right there in the brooder and gave her a little dish of food and a little dish of water. She could get up and walk around a little, but not get to the other chicks. Boy, did that make her "sisters" happy. They could all could see her and she could see them, and she sat there and sulked while they stood triumphant. At some point during the night, she figured out how to escape, but she's not pecking the others anymore. She seems pretty chastened.

3. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I have JUST The thing I need I will try your idea!

4. Four Acre Bliss

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    How did it go?

5. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    The little terror I had turned out to be a roo. Never thought of a chick jail [​IMG].

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm betting hers is a roo also.

Guess we'll wait and see.

7. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I had this happen once before
    and the chicks didn't turn out to be roos in that sitaution, my issue then was too much light in the room at night. (I used red heat lamps but my brooders are clear so the entire room with 4 heat lamps got really pretty light.
    (those chicks were pecking eyes at light colored chicks)

Since I put the chick in jail last night and this particular brooder has the no light heat emitter lamp, their brooder was very dark I left her in chick jail this morning. When I get home from work today I will let her out so I can supervise.

thanks everyone!

8. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    NOPE,
    other ideas?
    she was out maybe 3-4 min before she started the behavior again!
    bad chick!
    she will go after eyes as well as wings, she is a nasty little thing!
    help!

9. Four Acre Bliss

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Ouch, sorry it didn't work! [​IMG]

10. carousel

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Does anyone have any more suggestions?
    I decided to put their pine shavings in their brooders and that may have helped?
    it has been about 36 hours I usually wait 48 hours but decided it could not hurt?
    It may have helped?
    I'm sure open to other suggestions.
    right now she is in a brooder with 6 other chicks, but I could put her in a brooder with about 14 of them so she could spread her terror over more chicks? LOL
    anyway,
    any other help would be great, I'm wondering if it is going to be a boy also, right now all the other chicks are sleeping and she is up watching like a good rooster in the making LOL
    But I DO think/hope things have settled down since adding the shavings.
    thinking good thoughts for my little gangster chick, at least with a leghorn I should know SOON If it is male!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by