chick that cant walk... How do i help it

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amy1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Amy1

Amy1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    i have a 12 hour old chick that is walking on its knees and its feet are up by the wings how do i correct this? please help!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sometimes chicks like this will start walking normally as they dry off and strengthen. If not, I have no solution - sorry. Hopefully someone can provide better help.

3. Amy1

Amy1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    anyone?

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Here is a link to a great blog that shows how you can try to help them using bandaids/vet wrap tape.... http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/search/label/spraddle leg
    I hope this helps!!

Edited to add: Have you posted this question in the emergency forum? Lots of knowlegable people go there to help others out with medical issues.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    do some research on hobbling the legs. they use this technique for splay legs. may help. good luck

6. Java_chicken_man

Java_chicken_man Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    I had a chick do the same thing. Its leg seemed to shrivel up and dry out. I didn't have the heart to let the animal suffer that way.:/

7. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    You should post some pics- AND post in the emergency section. It's really helpful to get a picture idea. Details are crucial.
    I have had only a little bit of experience with splayed legs, and so far success, but I wouldn't call it "shriviled" but maybe VERY disabled. Trauma affects everyone differently.
    Is the chick in the incubator/brooder still? Outside with a hen?
    I've had newborn chicks literally be face-planted for a couple hours, and they have turned out fine. 12 hours isn't that long. If it's getting stomped on, then maaaaybe separate it from the others, but I would wait a little bit and see how it strengthens up. Some little babies take time to thrive- but just keep an eye on it. The more details the better, but don't stress too much!

8. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I would try supporting legs with vet wrap. Chicks can be very resilient and it may be walking normally in a few days.

9. Amy1

Amy1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    I incubated them and it came out of the egg like this both legs are positioned up by its wings and it walks on its knees. I now have it in a brooder box in the house with the other chicks...I have had a band aid on it since this after noon and now instead of scooting like it was it walks on its knees and is getting sores... i bandaged the knees with cotton balls and sports tape to keep it in place...

10. Amy1

Amy1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by