chick that is moving in circles, falling over frontwards, etc

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tmeyers24, Feb 21, 2011.

1. tmeyers24

tmeyers24 New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    I just picked up 8 baby chicks from a hatchery. They are between 1 and 2 days old. The one chick was putting its head on the ground and running backwards. She falls over and does front somersaults. When I pick her up she puts her head down towards her chest. Has anyone ever heard of this? This is only my second experience with baby chicks. Last year I didn't have any problems like this. I really don't want her to die. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do or what this is? Thanks in advance.

2. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Have you given her water with vitamins?/ I'm sure there are lots of people who know more than me, but my little chick that we decided had wry neck acted a little like that (just no flipping over) The great people on BYC told me to get vitamins and vitamin e (especially vit e) into her and give twice a day So I got poly vi sol and some vit e capsules and started dosing her. I have no clue if this will help her, but I don't think it can hurt. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

3. tmeyers24

tmeyers24 New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    Thank you for the help

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by