Chick that is pecking at others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pollyschickens, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Pollyschickens

Pollyschickens New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    I have 11 chicks about 2 weeks old now. One of my Rhode Island Reds is pecking and sometimes scratches at the other chicks. The other chicks do not defend themselves. She has done this since the minute we brought her home. I have separated her so she does not hurt the other and she is not happy. I read it could be from stress. Is she going to snap out of it?? She is really other than that and loves to snuggle[​IMG] I'm starting to loose hope.

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Are you sure she is a she?

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicken temperament can show up early. RIRs especially can be aggressive. You can try to discipline the chick. I've had good luck changing behavior in the first four weeks by poking the chick on the back when it goes after the other chicks. Do it as often as you can spare the time, and you should see results in one to two days.

My article on aggressive chicks has some other pointers if you want to click on it below.

4. Pollyschickens

Pollyschickens New Egg

Apr 11, 2017
    Well she is supposed to be a hen but I guess sometimes they can make a mistake. How can you tell if she is a he? Is that the behavior of a rooster??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by