Chick that never feathered

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eatwhatyougrow, Jan 8, 2014.

1. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    I have a chicken looks like a blue marans. I think it is a he but it has never gotten a good size comb like my other roos from the same parantage. Anyway when it was young it never got feathers fully. The neck feathers have never come in well and its like it never really got more than under/downy like feathers. This summer fall it started to feather out a little bit but still lacked the neak feathers and now it is lossing feathers neck feathers are almost gone and the body feathers are odd. None of the other birds with it have this problem. I will go get some pictures to show you. Any ideas? What this is. Is it genetic? Or something else. Has been with the other chickens whole life but the dont have this problem

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Pictures would help.
    Could be a naked neck.

3. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    I know its not a naked neck. Its a marans. Coloring makes me think blue but again the feathering has never been good.[​IMG]

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Any frizzles in his linage?

6. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    [​IMG] sorry they are blurry i will try to get some better ones. But i dont think it is molting. As it has never feathered well since hatch. Just kind of boggled by this. It dosent seem to afeect the other birds and it dosent seem to bother this chicken just wondering if i breed this bird can i develop the naked neck marans?

7. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    No frizzles that i know of. I got this egg from a guy who only breeds marans and has been breeding for about six years. They are supposed to be wade jeane lines. Like i said im just kinda stumped

8. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

The only things I know that causes feather loss is, stress, mites, molting, pecked by other flock memebers.
    Although he might just be a one off that had trouble growing feathers. I know a lady who has had a few chicks that take for ever to moult.

9. eatwhatyougrow

Dec 30, 2013
    Must be the one off. Just was wondering anyone knew why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by