Chick that never stops peeping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lishah2000, May 27, 2010.

1. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

It peeps constantly. It had a ruff start in life. Took a long time to hatch, was abandoned by it's mom, moved to a brooder, then adopted by another hen. Very small from the start. It's almost two weeks old now and about half the size of the other chicks, but I think it's part silkie, so it may just be smaller. But it does eat and run around, comes quick when mom calls. She seems to be taking good care of it. Is feathering in at the same rate as the other chicks. Doesn't seem to be blind, but maybe has limited vision.

It's just so tiny and never stops peeping.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] Hopefully it will be alright.

[​IMG] but I've never had a good turn out with a constant peeper. It's like something is wrong that we just can't see or fix.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Could it be hungry, thirsty, too hot, or too cold?

4. lishah2000

Quote:I hope it makes it, but I've thought something just wasn't right from the beginning. At least it is being well cared for by momma hen and actually all the other hens are being extremely caring towards it, even the original mom.

5. lishah2000

Quote:It's with a hen and she is doing all the normal stuff. She calls it to food and water and I've watched it eat and drink. She takes lots of breaks so it can get under her and it's pretty warm here. It stays pretty close to the hen.

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I hope it makes it, but I've thought something just wasn't right from the beginning. At least it is being well cared for by momma hen and actually all the other hens are being extremely caring towards it, even the original mom.

Sounds like it has everything it needs then. Sure hope the little peeper outgrows this and does okay!

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:It's with a hen and she is doing all the normal stuff. She calls it to food and water and I've watched it eat and drink. She takes lots of breaks so it can get under her and it's pretty warm here. It stays pretty close to the hen.

Hopefully, it will be ok. Prayers for the little dude. I have not experienced this with a baby. Good thoughts your way.....

8. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    It may just be a needy chick.I had one I got from the feedstore who was quiet at first but then turned into a loud loud little chick and it didnt matter who it was cuddled with,how much it ate or drank or if it was hot or cold.She just cheeped all the time for about a week, then she slowly calmed down.She is still the loudest neediest hen I own, she thinks she needs to be under your feet making noise or the world will end [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by