Chick that was stuck is out, but doesn't look great, see #4

SportChick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Louisiana
My chick zipped about 90 minutes-2 hours ago. He keeps trying to get out of the bottom of his shell but it's like the butt/tail is stuck. Head, upper body and both feet are out. I hatched in egg cartons so the bottom of shell is positioned vertically. I did have a technical error during my hatch so that the eggs weren't turned at all for possibly up to 11 days so I am a little concerned that it is really stuck to it's shell. One got out fine and I have another one pipping. The stuck one is cheeping up a storm and seems pretty vigorous. I didn't have any humidity issues and my current humidity is like 75%.

Do I help or do I wait? Can it die if I wait until the hatch is complete before I try to help him out?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. I decided to sit on my hands and keep the incubator closed. It did finally tip over the edge of the egg and it had been sitting in what looked like gelatinous, yellow goo. It is dragging a long umbilical cord and it also has what might be a string of membrane attached to the lower part of it's back/tail area. Will that dry up on it's own?

50569_img_0502.jpg

It is clearly exhausted and is just lying on the bottom of the incubator. Hoping it is Ok. Am pretty concerned about deformities b/c of the turning thing. Looks pretty normal physically to me so I am hoping it's just tired and will stand up after a good rest.

So now the little guy is rolled over on its back and seems to be having trouble rolling over. Still chirps a lot. Every so often his leg quivers for 10 seconds or so. Any thoughts??

If there's other pips then you should leave it alone so you don't endanger the pipped eggs. The yellow goo behind it is leftover waste- the nutritional waste from what it processed of the yolk while in the shell. Mine will sometimes leave a gob of this gross stuff behind in the shell
sickbyc.gif
It's not really dangerous to have this trailing behind them, just gross. I clean it off as soon as is safe, so that it doesn't get this stuck to its feathers and dry that way.

I read a couple of posts about chicks on their backs and they all said that it was better if they could be righted. So I put him in a teacup with some paper towel. Only had the window off for 10-20 seconds. The humidity dropped from 70-60 so I put the plugs back in. The other pipped one really looks like it sealed itself off. Of course, now I have ANOTHER pipped one! For a disastrous hatch overall where I did everything wrong, maybe not so bad.

Back
Top Bottom