Chick that won't eat, seems crazy UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliechick, Apr 20, 2009.

1. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I hatched out some chicks last week. All are healthy and eating fine except the last one to hatch. It will peck at things, but never at the food. While the other chicks are happily eating, it will stagger around and peck at a few things, then give up. I've given it sugar water, which it drank greedily from a dropper. When I tried putting the water in a dish, I would dip its beak, then let go. He would try to get to the water again, but would miss. I don't think its blind. It responds to light, anyway.

Any suggestions? Is there any hope. I tried to get it to eat some food mixed with water, but no luck.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds neurological, some quirk of genetics, humidity or bad luck. Since many hatchlings respond to vitamins, I'd try that- sadly, you have only until the third day until the lack of nutrients will take its toll. Still, if this chick does respond to a multivitamin, you've lost nothing...so sorry, and good luck.

3. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Thanks for the reply. I checked it a minute ago and it seemed to be trying to eat. It's very timid. Maybe the sugar gave it enough energy to try. We'll see.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some chicks hatch less developed than others. I sure hope she pulls through. The neurological prob may be related to vision, as you suspect- maybe her distance judgement is off. I've always thought that my 'Doroty' is like that- most likely to fly into something and break her neck, and she is about to turn a year old! No harm in offering extra crumbles/yogurt by hand. This one could turn into a lovely coop pet.[​IMG]

5. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    It's been a week, and the little chick is doing well. It still pecks and misses. When I put treats in the brooder, the other chicks go crazy and grab them from my hands. Crazy baby will NOT eat from my hand. He does keep pecking at the ground now until he comes up with something edible. He has found the water now. I'm still not sure what's wrong with him, but I think he'll be okay. [​IMG] Thanks, LynneP for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by