Chick thinks she's a duck??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tinmomma, Apr 22, 2016.

1. tinmomma

tinmomma New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    I bought 3 ducklings to add to my duck flock. At the same time, I bought a Wyandotte chick bc I had previously been unable to find this breed in my area. Now that the ducks have joined the others on the pond, the young pullet is unhappy in my chicken coop. At first I let her free range with the others during the day and then put her up separate at night (to prevent the other chickens picking on her). Then I put her in the coop at night. She hasn't really been hanging with the others. Also - when I let them out to free range- if she sees the ducks- she races to them. She will follow them all the way to the pond and just stay there while they swim, etc. recommendations?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Its probably better to get at least another two birds of the same age (or slightly younger) for your Wyandotte. Introducing a single, younger bird to a flock is very hard on the bird, as younger birds tend to forum sub-flocks - and yours has no age-mates with whom to do this with.

Good luck
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you don't have any male ducks, I think it is fine to let her hang with the ducks hens. If there is a male, definitely not. Duck anatomy is much different than a chicken, Drakes can kill a female chicken by trying to breed her.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

6. tinmomma

tinmomma New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Its probably better to get at least another two birds of the same age (or slightly younger) for your Wyandotte. Introducing a single, younger bird to a flock is very hard on the bird, as younger birds tend to forum sub-flocks - and yours has no age-mates with whom to do this with.

Good luck
    CT

Thanks for the advice. I have been letting her play with her duck friends but will try to find a pullet of a similar age for her. Oh and this happened today......[​IMG]

She swam across our pond!! I scooped her up and put her in a cage with a lamp and food. She was shivering!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by