Chick Toys

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigredfeather, Feb 17, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    What type of "toys" are good to put in the brooder for chicks to play with?

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Sometimes a shallow bowl of mash and mine would dust bathe in it. I have heard of putting a feather duster in to act as Mama Hen. The greatest excitement of their life was a meal worm. They play keep away. Thats all I can think of for the little ones.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Crickets are toys. Chicken footballs, to be precise. I tried parakeet toys, but they had no interest after a couple minutes. I thought the little mirrors would be good, but they weren't. I suppose one more chick staring back at you in a group of 25 is pretty boring. A teddybear was a hit at naptime. A good sized object they can't see over seemed to have them more motivated to explore as well. Granted, they were walking in circles around it, but they didn't seem to notice.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Do you really mean toys, things for them to play with for entertainment purposes only? Or do you mean things you could give them for their health or for food that would also generate more activity? Because I don't think that chicks really benefit or need pure toys, I don't think their minds are built for them. But you can give them things to occupy their interests and keep them active. They like pans of dirt to dig in & peck at, and take dust baths in. They also like clumps of grass with the roots & dirt intact, they'll peck away at that.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I've used stuffed animals. Smaller ones to snuggle up to, bigger ones to climb on. Things to climb on and jump off, like branches or driftwood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by