Chick toys?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Aug 20, 2008.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I've read different post where people mention 'toys' in the brooder so chicks aren't bored. I've got one very active EE - pecking wings and toes. Can't do the red light - I can't keep it cool enough. So what are some good 'toys' for baby chicks?

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A clump of weeds or grass with roots & dirt attatched. Chickies love them. Collect them all!

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    small wiffle balls like the golf balls

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Wow I never thought about toys like those! Another thing that I've noticed is that my baby chickens love running through a coffee can with the other end holed out of it. I don't get it, but they seem to enjoy it.

5. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:Well, I don't have any wiffle balls, but I guess a ping-pong ball would work?

6. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    We did some bird toys when they were just a few weeks old and then we built out of scraps of wood several different heights of roosts so they can just jump up and down and chase each other.

7. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    Neat thread!! I do the weeds already - my 4 week old chicks go bonkers for them. I just threw in a wiffle ball - we'll see if that gets any interest. I just moved them to their coop last Saturday - so everything is new and different for them. They have TONS of different size roosts, boards, bridges, etc. I also put down a shovel full of shavings - they love to roll around in it. My coop is straight on the pasture. I wonder if they'd like the parrot toys - the pieces of wood dangling from a rope? As an aside, I put in 2 bowls of cooked oatmeal this morn - they went CRAZY for it! And they love watermelon, too. My one little girl who was getting pecked is no longer getting pecked, so I think they are amusing themselves with all the other things now.

8. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    When I have them out on the ground in a tractor I will dig a shallow hole in the grass so they have a place to take dust baths. If they're in a solid-floored cage I'll take a large plastic plant saucer & fill it with dry dirt/sand for them.

I also will add sticks or branches for them to have perches, making sure they don't enable the chicks to escape.

I think it's good to give chicks & even chickens some things to add variety & interest to their days, but I don't think they really need "toys" that are for diversion & actual play. Certainly chicks seem to have "games" like Keep Away, where one will pick up a tasty bit & run around cheeping, but I don't think it's meant as play but as Survival of the Fittest.

It's when they're kept under close confinement, in artificial conditions, that they seem to need the most diversion. Otherwise, they start picking & pecking on each other. Out of their cages/brooders they can usually find enough to occupy their tiny minds.

Something interesting for adult chickens is to tie a head of lettuce, like Romaine, up over their heads high enough so they have to jump up & peck at it. It certainly provides some entertainment for the people watching them!

9. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    Neat idea with the lettuce! Do you just put it in one of those netting type bags?

10. Sunny Side Up

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't think they could get a good grip on the lettuce if it was in the net bag, they'd be getting beakfulls of string instead. I think you could just tie a string tight around the root end, or through the leaves at the bottom. I see my chickens hopping up to peck at berries from the bushes overhead. I'd like to film it & put it to some sort of music. I guess you could suspend other types of food overhead for them, rolls or fruit or something.

But it still wouldn't be a toy that they are playing with solely for amusement. It would just be something that you're adding to their environment to add variety to their day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by