Chick treat thread!!!

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
Post treats you give your chicks here!!!
jumpy.gif

Sprouted BOSS, scratch, all left overs from frig and bread I get from a thrift bread store they sell big bags as farm feed. I also feed them extra veggies from the garden and crushed up egg shells. We have many apple trees and a couple of pear trees that I pick from to give to my chickens in the fall.

My chicks were eating the same treats as the adults by about one week of age - mama showed them how, and early on broke off tiny bits to feed to them. Old bread, leftover pasta/rice/quinoa/meat/egg, vegie peelings (not potato), mushy strawberries, carrot tops, tomato tops, broccoli stems, bits of apple, mango seeds & skins, bean tips, spinach, weeds ... everything.

All of the above plus mashed Banana, berries, chopped lettuce and cabbage are a big hit, as are cooked broccoli and carrots; cooked just till done and I don't peel them. They love cooked corn on the cob and cucumbers/zucchini cut length wise and sliced grapes cut fine. They will eat watermelon, cantaloupe and melons, love cooked peas and crushed popcorn. Rice is a favorite, along with hard boiled eggs and barley sprouts, yogurt is always a hit too. I had an abundance of tomatoes this year so I threw some in the processor and slapped it into a bowl and gave it too them. One thing I also give them is bird suet mixed with wild bird food.

A clump of Barley sprouts with a Roo dominating it.

Chard for my Co-Op's

Crushed whole tomatoes for everyone

They left the bowl spotless!

This is a thread for chicks, yes. but depending what you introduce them to, as adults they will eat the healthiest stuff you give them and not be picky eaters. Less wasted natural foods that supplement the feed you have to buy for them.

Back
Top Bottom