Chick Treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Junediamond, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Junediamond

Junediamond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    I am giving my chicks lettuce, un-seeded red grapes, chard, blackberries, and scratch for treats. They are pretty picky though, and hate tomatoes, celery, and pretty everything besides the treats listed and their feed. Any ideas to spice up their diet? Oh, and I let them roam around the yard, so they eat, weeds, bugs, and grass. [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll eat pretty much anything you should eat.
    Meat, fish, fruits and vegetables.
    They will ignore anything they can't bite or is small enough to swallow whole.
    They won't eat carrots, celery or broccoli stalks but if you dice them up they will.
    Without hands and teeth, anything has to fit down the esophagus.

How old are they?
    I don't feed anything but chick starter for the first few months. Most anything you feed other than starter will diminish the complete nutrition chicks are known to need and is built into the starter at the correct ratios. Chicks need a fair amount of essential amino acids to build their little bodies. Giving a lot of fruit and vegetables will drastically lower their protein intake.

1 person likes this.
  3. Junediamond

Junediamond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    My chicks are 8-9 weeks old, though I have two 3 weeks, but I only give them feed, and a TINY bit of scratch, every week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by